Monday, December 15, 2008

When life breaks your eggs...make Créme Brulée.


Last week I had to buy eggs at the grocery store for the first time since last spring. Our friends Troy and Cyndy have an abundance of eggs, thanks to their flock of hens, and bring a dozen or two over once a week. We've been eating eggs and toast for breakfast lately and my egg supply had dwindled.

When I got home from the grocery store and opened the back hatch of our Suburban, the dozen eggs came tumbling out and landed at my feet. Of course, every one of them had cracked and/or broken. For a minute I was extremely disgusted, then I remember the Créme Brulée set I had received as a gift from my friend Tracey.

One evening, after Ellie and Josie had gone to bed, I made the decadent desert. It was surprisingly simple. The hardest part was waiting for it to chill in the fridge overnight.

I hate to admit it, but my breakfast that next morning consisted of two servings and a cup of coffee. I justify this by reminding myself that Cremé Brulée is full of protein. (Never mind the heavy whipping cream and sugar.)

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you can make it all work....what is a girl supposed to do? Great job! The cream, by the way, is good for your bones and complexion.

    ReplyDelete