
Last night I made venison stew for dinner. The girls were less than enthusiastic until I explained that the recipe was given to me by Snow White. Remember when she makes stew for the dwarfs? Well, she passed her delicious recipe along to me...and Eleanor and Josephine gobbled up every last bite.
That's not really lying is it?
Snow White's Venison Stew
Ingredients
1 lb. diced venison (steak, backstrap, loin etc.)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large, chopped onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
12-15 baby carrots, cut in half
8 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups beef broth
15 oz. crushed tomatoes
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1/3 cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
Directions
Heat oil in large soup pot. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer to bowl and set aside. Add the onion, celery and carrots. Cook for about five minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for another five minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, wine, thyme and Worchestershire. Bring to a low boil. Add meat and potatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Delicious and healthy!
Perfect! Anything it takes to get them to enjoy wild game!
ReplyDeleteBUT, backstraps and loin in stew???
No no no! those belong in a griddle on the stove with sautéed onions with old bacon Greece!!!
That’s why God gave them roast and other tasty varieties of meat!!
Tim
Very clever, Lisa. Very clever, indeed! :)
ReplyDelete-Tracey
I must have missed the part of the story where Snow White made stew for the dwarfs????? I'll have to check the story again and pay attention.
ReplyDeleteYou ARE one smart mom to capitalize on the girl's current obsession with Snow White. Anything to get them to eat healthy veggies and venison.
If nothing else, you get points for creativity and quick thinking, and the post made me laugh every time I thought of it.
OK, I checked and indeed Snow White made stew! I need to re-read all of the old stories so I can be smart too!
ReplyDelete