Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ham Chowder - Dinner on a Budget


This is a great recipe that I've been making for a while. Each year we buy and butcher a hog for our freezer. The sausage, pork chops and roasts are always gone first, so it seems we are always left with a number of ham steaks (sliced ham). I searched for an easy way to prepare it, besides, well...just ham. This is a delicious, filling and inexpensive way to do just that.

Ham Chowder

Ingredients
1 diced onion
2 tablespoons butter
3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
1-2 cups of diced ham
1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
2-1/2 cups milk (I use 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup cream)
1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
salt and pepper

Directions
In a soup pot, saute the onion in butter until soft. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for at least one hour, or until the potatoes are soft. Simmer for a little longer for thicker chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment