Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pancakes and waffles...yummy weekend breakfast.

One of my favorite things to do weekend mornings is make breakfast. Our family's favorite breakfast is by far my sausage gravy and biscuits. (Someday I'll share the recipe.) One of my favorites to eat is pancakes or waffles.

Last fall I was on a mission to find the perfect pancake recipe. The pancakes at The Old Hamlin restaurant in Ludington, MI are sinfully amazing. Dense, yet fluffy, with a wonderful malty flavor. I'm sure the seasoned grill has a lot to do with it, but I really wanted to try my hand at making something similar at home.

I found this recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. They are pretty darn delicious - and as close to Old Hamlin's as I've found. I use the same recipe for both pancakes and waffles.

Malted Pancakes or Waffles

Ingredients
2 large eggs
1-1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup malted milk powder

Directions
Whisk the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the oil. Whisk dry ingredients together. Gently and quickly, mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Let the batter rest for 10-15 minutes (it will thicken slightly). Drop 1/3 cup of batter onto hot griddle for pancakes or waffle iron for waffles. You're on your own from here...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment