Wednesday, April 28, 2010

RECIPE: Sausage and Bean Casserole...

...with Pork, Spinach, Mushroom Soup, Stovetop and Cheese.

Really.

Sounds awful, doesn't it?

Last night the dinner I had planned to make wasn't going to work out since one of the main ingredients was accidentally eaten. I also had 1/2 lb. of ground pork and 1/2 lb. of ground sausage left over from making lasagne and both of them needed to be used up. While Josie was napping, Ellie and I sat down and browsed a number of online recipe sites. I came across a recipe using the ingredients listed above. Aside from a few adjustments (used Great White instead of Cannellini beans and pork instead of beef), I had all of the ingredients on hand. This was certainly one of those "hail Mary" recipes. You know, you cross your fingers while cooking and check the fridge for american cheese and bread – just in case you need grilled cheese as a backup plan. Luckily, no backup plan needed. And...it's really, really good. Honestly! Even Kyle commented that the ingredients list makes you raise an eyebrow, but we all wanted seconds!

Sausage and Bean Casserole

Ingredients
1/2 lb. ground sausage
1/2 lb. ground pork (or beef)
1 small onion, diced
1 bag fresh baby spinach
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/4 cup milk
15 oz. can Great Northern (or Cannellini) beans
1 package Stove Top
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup water

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350˚.

Brown the sausage, pork and onion. Drain fat if needed. Toss in the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the soup, milk and beans. Combine well and pour into and 8x8 casserole dish.

In a small bowl, combine the stuffing mix, cheese and water. Pour this over the mixture in the casserole dish.

Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment