Saturday, April 24, 2010
RECIPE: Lemon Bars
When I was pregnant for Eleanor I craved lemon. I drank lemonade by the gallon – three cans of the frozen concentrate a week. I also made every lemon bar recipe I could find. Seriously. (I also gained 60 lbs...wonder why.)
After many attempts, I finally came up with my favorite combination of sugar cookie crust and lemony custard filling. Top it with crumbles of the cookie crust and some powdered sugar and voíla! Refreshing, not too sweet, not too sour Lemon Bars.
Lemon Bars
Ingredients
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
In a stand mixer (or by hand using a pasty blender) combine the cold butterr, flour and powdered sugar until it forms coarse crumbles. Remove 1/3 of the mixture and place it in the fridge. Press the remaining 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in the mixer bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, baking powder and lemon juice. Beat for 1-2 minutes or until slightly foamy. When the crust is finished baking (the 15 minutes) pour the egg mixture over the top and bake for another 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven (after the 10 minutes) and crumble the remaining dough over the top. Place back in the over for another 10 minutes or until firm.
Remove from the oven and COOL COMPLETELY. (Really...don't try to eat them when they are warm. Let them cool!) Cut into squares and sift the 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar over the top before serving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can't wait to make these they sound so wonderful. I love lemon bars. I might have to break the diet for a sample:) Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete