After a day of coughing and sneezing, I decided my little family needed some Chicken Soup therapy. Instead of making the Chicken and Dumplings that we all love, I decided to adapt my Chicken Noodle Soup recipe to taste and feel a little more like dumplings. Well, it foot the bill. (And I'm almost considering having a mug of it for a mid-morning snack.)
Oh...and the crackers with butter on them? I do that about once a year. It reminds me of my Grandpa Payne, and with just one bite of saltines and butter I feel like I'm eight years old again, sharing crackers and milk with my grandparents. (Insert warm fuzzy sigh.)
Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Ingredients
4 chicken breasts
olive oil
6 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 teaspoons chicken soup base
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 chicken breasts
olive oil
6 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 teaspoons chicken soup base
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Herbs De Provence
1 can condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen peas
2 eggs
1/2 cup (or so) of flour
1/2 cup chopped, fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped, fresh parsley
Directions
In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the chicken in olive oil on all sides. Add the water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, reserve the poaching liquid, and when cool enough, shred the meat and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the stock pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Sweat for 4 minutes until tender. Add the soup base, salt and pepper, Herbs De Provence and Cream of Chicken Soup. Add the chicken and reserved poaching liquid, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
After the soup has simmered for a while, crack the two eggs into a small bowl. Quickly whisk in flour, a little at a time, until you have an eggy-paste, add a pinch of salt to the paste. With a small spoon, drop teaspoons of the eggy-paste into the soup pot. These are the dumplings. They will swell while cooking, so don't make them too large. Once all the dumplings are added, dump in the peas and chopped parsley. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if neccessary.
Cook for 10 more minutes or so until the dumplings are cooked through.
Now snuggle up with a mug of soup and enjoy!
It looks good, thankfully I don't NEED it, but may make it anyway.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about the crackers, there are just some things that can take you back to a happy memory. Circus Peanuts are mine, makes me think of my dad every time I see them.
I used to eat crackers and milk with Grandpa all the time and loved it. I tried it again a few years ago and did not love it so much, I think it was because grandpa was missing. Thanks for sharing the recipe, can’t wait to try it. P.S. I made your chili on Sunday and it was excellent!
ReplyDeleteGosh this looks good. I am going to try your recipe. I like what i see what you put into it. I will grate some good Italian cheese on top of it to give a good flavor too, not that it doesnt but i like the grated cheese in the soup. I say from what i have seen in your blog you must be a good cook no doubt.
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious!
ReplyDelete