Friday, February 25, 2011

RECIPE: Quinoa with Spinach


 It seems like we've had a lot of rice or beans in the past few weeks, so Tuesday I decided to make Quinoa instead to go along with some fish I baked. I usually make Quinoa pretty plain, just following the directions on the package, but this time I decided to mix things up a bit. Made this way, it went from a boring side dish to something I'd eat as a meal – so very, very tasty (and healthy to boot!) And if anyone is worried about kids not liking it, ours sure did! They ate every last bit!

RECIPE: Quinoa with Spinach

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup white wine
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 handfuls of fresh spinach, torn
salt and pepper

Directions
Sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft.  Add quinoa and stir until well blended. Pour in the wine and stir until the wine is dissolved. Add the broth, vinegar and thyme. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, toss in the torn spinach leaves. Cover again and let it sit for a few minutes until the spinach leaves have wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

NOTE: For those of you who've never tired it, quinoa is really delicious – and very good for you. It's a complete protein, full of amino acids, fiber and iron. And, for those watching their wheat, it's gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment