Friday, July 1, 2011

RECIPE: No-Bake Cookies

I think everyone has a version of these, and you either call them No-Bake Cookies or Boiled Cookies. This is our version. It reminds me of summers in our tiny house growing up. I grew up in a family of cookies lovers. With no baking involved, this was our go-to summer cookie. Eating them takes me right back to 1987 – packing a few no-bakes in my backpack so I could either ride my bike the 6 miles to the library, or the two miles to my best friends house. Yum.



RECIPE: No-Bake Cookies


Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
3 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup whole oats

Directions
In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and milk. Bring to a rolling boil and continue to boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla. Stir in the oats. Allow the mixture to cool for a minute or two, then drop by the tablespoon full onto parchment paper. Cool completely and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. These are about the first thing I ever made. The bus would let us off at the road and we'd run up to our houe and ask grandmother if we could make them. She'd supervise but it was either my or my sister's job to measure ingredients and stir the pan so the liquid wouldn't burn. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great how food can bring back memories? (Well...at least the good ones!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! I want to make those right now. They look so tempting! Have a great weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure remember these cookies in high school and friends making them. They are so good, and those pictures you took i almost want to reach in and grab one, they are very tempting. Lisa again i got to say, your cooking skills are out of this world. Keep them coming please.

    ReplyDelete