Wednesday, May 25, 2011
RECIPE: Cream of Asparagus Soup
Yes, that is the most un-appetizing picture of a bowl of soup. But...last night was crazy and that was all that was left of a certain 3-year-old's dinner by the time I got the camera out. (Seconds later she had slurped up the last of it.)
During Asparagus season, we have this a few times. I think it's always better the next day, and you can bet your britches I'll be enjoying a hot mug of it for lunch!
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Ingredients
2 lbs of asparagus
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
5-6 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons of buttermilk
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
Directions
Cut the tips off of the asparagus, set aside. Chop all of the remaining stalks into 1" pieces.
In a large stock pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened. Add the chopped asparagus, salt and pepper to taste, and a pinch of nutmeg. Cook, stirring often, for about 7-10 minutes. Add 5 cups of chicken broth. Simmer, covered, until the asparagus is very tender, 15-20 minutes.
While soup simmers, cook the reserved asparagus tips in boiling salt water until tender. Drain and set aside.
Purée soup in batches in a blender, or use a hand blender in the pot, and blend until smooth. Stir in the cream and buttermilk, then add more broth to thin the soup to desired consistency. Add the asparagus tips and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Wonderful re-heated the next day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have been buying asparagus daily, and eating it that often. This recipe looks easy and quick. If I make it today, it will make a dandy dinner for Friday. Thanks
ReplyDeleteBoy this looks good. But i would leave out the butter, heavy cream, buttermilk, all high in calories and fat, no disrespect. I love asparagus so much i could eat it everyday. Cook it in olive oil, season a little salt and pepper and lemon powder.
ReplyDeleteLOVE your take on this... will have to try... comfort food is good for the soul... and with asparagus even better!
ReplyDelete; )