I took a few minutes to survey the garden when I got home Sunday night. Everything was doing well, we even have beans sprouting up from the dirt. I noticed right away that the rhubarb that came with the house was tall, leafy and ready to be baked with.
My two favorite ways to eat the stuff (besides raw dipped in sugar) is Rhubarb/Strawberry Crisp, my brother Phil's favorite, and Rhubarb Muffins.
If you'd like a healthy, mildly fruity breakfast, then these are right up your alley!
RHUBARB MUFFINS
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (or nutmeg)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups finely chopped fresh rhubarb
Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a medium sized bowl combine all dry ingredients. In a small bowl combine all wet. Pour wet into dry and mix until just combined. Spoon into 12 greased muffins tins. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Sounds good how about the recipe for the rhubarb/strawberrry crisp. Yes I will get you the other recipe.
ReplyDeleteHere's another wonderful rhubarb recipe (from my neighbor):
ReplyDeleteRhubarb Oat Dessert
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 c. old-fashion oats (I've used quick oats too)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. walnuts (I omit these, texture issues)
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. butter
3 c. sliced rhubarb
1-1/4 c. cold water, divided
1-1/2 c. sugar
3 Tblsp cornstarch
1 tsp red food coloring (optional)
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, nuts, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press 3 cups into an ungreased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish; set aside.
Soak rhubarb in 1 cup cold water for 3 minutes; drain. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in remaining cold water until smooth. Add rhubarb, vanilla and food coloring if desired. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings
Oh that sounds great! I'll make those this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete