Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's cookie week! Day 1...

Remember Friday's gift idea - homemade "goodies"? I'll be sharing seven recipes this week - my favorites. (And really, they are not all cookies.) If you have time to make one or two to give as gifts, I promise the lucky recipients won't be disappointed!

SUNDAY - Sugar Cookies
Recipe from my mother, Pam Payne

Ingredients
1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups flour

Directions
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix together the salt and flour, adding to the butter mixture until well incorporated. Divide the dough in 1/2, placing each half in a square of plastic wrap, patting into a circle. Wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

Roll out one of the chilled dough circles onto a lightly floured surface until 1/4" thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350˚F for 6 to 8 minutes. (Repeat with the other chilled circle.)

Frost with a basic powdered sugar, milk and vanilla icing or your favorite recipe. Be sure to decorate with lots of sprinkles!

2 comments:

  1. Your mom is great at many things, and I KNOW that these are way beyond wonderful!

    I remember Chris always wanted these for our Christmas Gathering Day, and your mom always came through. I must admit that he didn't get all of them, I got mine first!

    Truth be known, I tucked a few away where no one could find them and well after Christmas I enjoyed them with a quiet cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so excited that you will be sharing some fabulous cookie recipes. I love to bake cookies and am always looking for new ones. So this will make for a great read this week. Thanks

    ReplyDelete