One of my favorite ways to make dinner is to pull out a meal that I've made ahead of time. I do this all of the time with a number of my family's favorites, and lately I've been making extra and freezing it in preparation for my up-coming niece or nephew. Kyle's brother and his wife are expecting their first child at the end of the month. I remember how hard those first few weeks were and how much I appreciated the meals that my mother-in-law made or my mom brought over. A few months ago I decided that instead of diapers or another outfit, our gift to them would be a week's worth of dinners. (So...Chris & Amy...if you are reading this...act surprised!) :-)
We call this Goulash, but there are so many variations, who knows what the correct recipe is. It's warm, it's cheesy, Kyle and I love it, and best of all the kids love it! (If you DO know the correct way, feel free to share!)
Goulash
Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1 chopped onion
salt and pepper
16 oz. cooked elbow macaroni
14 oz. diced tomatoes (do not drain)
28 oz. tomato sauce
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
Brown the ground beef with the onion and salt and pepper. Drain if needed. In a large bowl combine the cooked macaroni, tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic and Italian seasoning. Divide equally into two 8"x8" baking dishes. Top each dish with 1 cup of cheese.
Cover and freeze one of the dishes. The other dish, bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes. To brown the top (if you'd like) place under the broiler for a minute or two.
To cook the frozen dish, let it defrost in the fridge overnight, then bake as above.
Made your goulash recipe tonight. The kids and Dave all like it. Thanks for an easy recipe.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad! Hopefully you were able to stash one in the freezer for another time. :-)
ReplyDelete