My friend Sarah posted this recipe on her blog a few months ago. I've been meaning to try it, and the need for Cream of Chicken soup spurred me to whip up a batch. Now that I've used it (twice) I wonder...why on Earth have I been buying Cream of Whatever Soup for so long?
RECIPE: Cream of Anything Soup Mix
Ingredients
2 cups nonfat powdered milk
3/4 cup cornstarch1/4 cup dried instant chicken or beef bouillon*
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
*Note: I had a hard time finding a jar of instant bouillon that didn't contain MSG. Instead of adding the dry bouillon to the mix, I add 1 tsp. of chicken or beef soup base/refrigerated bouillon when I make a batch of the mix.
Directions
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container. (A quart-sized Mason jar works perfectly.)
To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup: Stir together 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cups hot water.____
My favorite part? The recipe above is equal to 9 cans of condensed soup. Yahoo!!
Oh my goodness, this is wonderful. No only is it cheap but it takes up little or no room in your cabinets. I will never have to run out for that something soup again
ReplyDeleteI have all the ingredients for this and I'll make it today. Thanks Sarah and Lisa.