Thursday, July 9, 2015

Strawberry Jam – healthier version


I love, love, love strawberry freezer jam. There's nothing better on a crunchy piece of toast than jam that basically tastes like fresh strawberry shortcake. I've always used the basic sugar/pectin recipe that comes with the Ball pectin box. Never fails, always delicious. The problem is that it's about 60% sugar, 40% berries. (Makes the daily PB&J that the kids eat basically and PB and sugar sandwich.)

I found Pomona's Pectin at our local health food store. So…I gave it a try. Instead of sugar I used Raw Honey that Josie's friend Kenai and her parents get from their bees. Local berries, local honey. Works for me! (No local lemon. Sorry.)



I'm not going to post the recipe since you can find it in the box or online here, but I'll tell you, it's delicious. Certainly not as sweet as the original recipe, but Ellie and Josie love it, and they're the ones that will be eating it the most. I think we're set for a while!  :)

1 comment: